Wednesday 10 August 2011

Best Game I've Ever Seen Live! #4

Josh Coull is a new blogger on the scene and is an avid Tottenham fan. However, he's also a fan of great football. This is seen by his strong following of European football on his personal Twitter account @Coullj. He is also a writer for a new blog site, 'The Mazy Drivel' where they discuss all things football with their own views and thoughts. You can follow them on Twitter too, @TheMazyDrivel.


What a difficult question! There are so many variables which combine to make a great game, add in an ever fading memory of previous games and it becomes an even harder task. So I’ve had to think long and hard about what is the best game I’ve ever seen. The game I’ve decided on wasn’t just a win for the team in the league it I feel marked a shift in power in North London.

Before this night Spurs hadn’t beaten Arsenal in the league since November 1999, a whole eleven years previous. It was if I remember correctly a Tim Sherwood free-kick that won the match for us and unfortunately since that day we as Spurs fans hadn’t had a winning league goal to savour in a North London derby.

Now before I get into the game itself I just want to talk you through my though process when deciding this game. As I mentioned there are many complexities and variables in games making the “best ever” difficult to ascertain. For example just because your team wins emphatically e.g. 5-1 versus Hull a few seasons back, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the best game, as I personally look more fondly upon the 4-3 loss at the San Siro against Inter Milan. So class of side plays a part as beating a bigger side surely has more gravitas than beating minnows? Yet the 2-0 win against a resurgent Liverpool at the end of last season meant very little to me whereas scraping a win against Bolton 1-0 on our way to finishing 4th left me elated, so context of the game has a part to play. Then ultimately my memory is called into action, there are games I watched as a child which probably left me bouncing off the walls with joy, alas I cannot remember these infant days.

The game I have chosen had everything. First we have the context, Spurs desperately needed a win we were in the nail biting hunt for 4th place and had just lost the FA Cup semi-final to Portsmouth. It was a game against our local rivals of whom we hadn’t beaten for eleven years. Finally we won but not at a canter, we earned that result and that’s what made it oh so sweet.

When going to a game I more often than not go with my Dad. We have been to around 15 games together but this was my first North London derby, it was different to normal it felt special. We had got the train up, and arrived at the stadium about an hour before KO and watched the players train. I love watching the players train; you can see their real class or lack of it, up close and personal. The most exciting part of the pre-match is when the team is announced. This team announcement had two surprises, firstly Ledley King started, we had Ledley at the back and it was comforting to know. Secondly and in hindsight quite importantly Danny Rose started. The young left winger hadn’t been in the 1st team with any regularity and now he was starting in one of the most important matches of the season, the thought that ran through my head was...Harry what are you doing?! Oh how he showed me!

The game started at a frantic pace and the atmosphere at an intense level, the players barely had control of the game it was running away from everyone. 10 minutes in came a corner, whipped in on the ‘keeper who could only flap it to the edge of the area where stood Danny Rose. Now I don’t think will ever hit a ball sweeter, as casual as you like he volleyed it over Almunia and into the back of the net. The stadium erupted I have never ever heard noise like it, amazing, I’ve got goose bumps as I’m writing! His celebration wasn’t as successful, as he went into his own half, every team member followed him they were having a great time but forgot the game was still going on and that Arsenal had kicked off, fortunately for us nothing came of it. Now for the life of me I can’t remember anything else that happened in the first half so half time it is! The players needed it, the pace had been frantic, Danny Rose was overdosed on adrenaline and was subbed at half time but he’d made his eternal impact.


The second half started in a flash, fans were still coming back to their seats, still settling down for the next 45 minutes. Gareth Bale however was more than alert, a slick through ball from Defoe and Bale slotted home, we were 2 nil up I was in disbelief! However I also knew as all Spurs fans did it wasn’t going to end 2-0.
We were under the cosh and the whole stadium felt the tension it was almost unbearable I’d never been so nervous during a match, (I have been since the home leg against Milan was the least enjoyable match I’ve ever seen) god help anyone with a weak heart. Eventually it came, Nicklas Bendtner scored with five minutes to go...has five minutes ever felt so long, I’m not sure, maybe ask some of my previous conquests. Now anyone who knows me will know I think Heurelho Gomes is a liability, however his two saves from Robin van Persie made want to lick his face. Arsenal could easily have won the game as they had done so many times in the eleven years previous. But no, we held strong, we overcame the years of torment and anguish to finally record a win against the Gooners! The relief, the joy, the pride was clear for all to see, what an amazing night that will unlike other games never ever be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment