Tuesday 28 June 2011

Best Game I've Ever Seen Live! #2


This is the second entry to the new "Best Game I've Ever Seen Live!" feature on DMF's Football World. This time, it's written by another Arsenal fan - but one who writes for the fun of it, Frankie Hobbs. You can catch him on Twitter on @FrankieHobbs.
When I thought about writing this, there were many factors and variables to consider. What makes a good game? Does standard of football outweigh the atmosphere of a match. Then of course there is the result of the team you supported. But the game I’ve chosen, I believe, is a great blend of them all, and I’ll now explain why I’ve chosen Tottenham vs. Arsenal, in the Carling Cup, as ‘The Best Game I’ve Ever Seen Live’.
Tottenham 1-4 Arsenal
Carling Cup 3rd Round
Prior to my visit to the away section of White Hart Lane, I had never travelled away with Arsenal. After being fed up with the poor atmosphere that comes with the Emirates, I hadn’t gone to an Arsenal game in about a year. Most Arsenal fans would tell you just how hard it is to get tickets to away games. So when I found out the opportunity to go to the Arch-Rivals, in their own ‘back-yard’ arised, I grasped it with both hands.
As previously stated, I had never been to an away game, so it was to be a learning curve. I had heard stories of how much better the atmosphere is in the away end, and with the opponents being Tottenham, it was sure to be a fiery atmosphere.  It didn’t disappoint.
From the first minute until the last, the atmosphere created was electric. Credit to Spurs fans who supported their team very well, but on this Tuesday night, everything just ‘clicked’ for Arsenal. It started well, with Arsenal controlling the opening segments of the derby, and a young Jack Wilshere was the dictator in most of this. This vast possession and control of the game payed off when Henri Lansbury, whom was making his first start fro Arsenal, slotted in a goal from a Jack Wilshere cross.  This was actually down the opposite end from myself, but this didn’t stop the celebration that was about to occur. I’ve never experienced anything like it, in my life.  This one shot, from an Arsenal player, had caused the 3,000 Arsenal fans to celebrate as if their life depended on it.  You see, when a goal goes in at the Emirates, against a lower league team, it’s great. Everyone’s happy, a cheer rises, etc. But when there’s a goal, in your arch-rival’s ground, to take the lead, it’s almost too good to be true.

Jack Wilshere had a marvellous game, bossing the midfield for Arsenal.
Spurs did show some fight in the second half of the first, but to no avail. Sandro was the only player showing some fight, but nevertheless, the two teams went in at half time, with the Red side of North London winning  1-0. The Arsenal fans were delirious, after such a strong showing in the first half. Perhaps too confident, as Tottenham hit straight back through substitute Robbie Keane. Deflation. Hearing the home fans cheer whilst you and your ‘army’ are silent is one of the weirdest emotions. The 45 minutes of domination had just been cancelled out, in a mere matter of a minute. The game continued, with a few good chances missed. As time drew on, the fans became nervous, and at times, the atmosphere was very eerie.  As the game drew to a close, neither side had outscored the other. The two North London giants couldn’t be separated, so onto extra time we went.
As if from no-where, the Arsenal fans gained an extra pair of lungs. The chants were strong, and meaningfull, Arsenal were out to prey on Spurs’ nervousness, and they did.  Frenchman Sebastion Bassong brought down Fan-Favourite Samir Nasri for a much needed penalty. Nasri obliged, and Arsenal were ahead. From what I can remember, the chant of Samir Nasri to the tune of ‘Baby Give it Up’ rang around White Hart Lane for the rest of the piece. And in that time, Arsenal had time to slot away 2 more goals, through Nasri and Arshavin respectively. We’d done it. White Hart Lane conquered, and despite it being the Carling Cup, getting one over your neighbours is the best feeling in the world; and didn’t we have a sing-song. Just check youtube.com for the various taunts directed at Spurs fans. ‘is there a fire drill’ as they started to leave is a personal favourite of mine.
I made my way home, safe in the knowledge that I had followed my team, to a victory over the enemy. Many people would question why a Carling Cup 4th round game would be the best game I’ve ever seen. But, it’s simple, the range of emotions felt over that one night, will never be repeated again. I might not ever get another chance to sit at Row 8 in a North London Derby.  This game, made me more passionate for the special club, that is Arsenal. That’s why this was my favourite game I’ve ever seen live.

Picture taken on my phone pre-game

No comments:

Post a Comment